Live every Moment

Live every Moment

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Crying it out!

So....I was talking to a friend and I was telling her that Parker had been waking up in the middle of the night crying. Not only crying but screaming. Now I am sure why, and I take full responsibility. The last couple of weeks I have been laying down with him in our bed during nap and at night. I am not sure how this got started but one night it did and I usually put him in his bed when he falls asleep. Well usually, and I mean like 5 out of 7 nights we wakes up screaming. I go in, give him his binky and try to lay him down to get him back to sleep. This does not work too well. He gets back up, screaming with his arms into the air, pleading for me to take him back to the place where he fell asleep hours ago. And I have always given into him. After talking to my friend, and asking her for advice this is what she said, (I am not sure if this is exact, but it was close.) "You just have to let him cry. Leave the house if you have to, but you have to let him cry it out." This sounds easy, after all I am a pretty tough girl and thought this would be a piece of cake. (which sounds good right now.)

Tonight, he fell asleep while I was holding him on the couch. (I am not sure if that is the same as letting him fall asleep in our bed or not?) I took him upstairs in his bed, turned on his music and.....silence.

40 minutes ago he woke up screaming. I went upstairs, gave him is binky ( I need to get another one. Too many people ask me, "How old is your little girl?" Does he not look like a boy?) Anyway, tried to lay him down, but he got up, his arms in the air, ect. I kissed his and told him I loved him and left. 10 minutes later, i did the same thing. And then again 10 minutes later. Then I was watching a movie forgot to turn the monitor back on. When I did it was silent. (It had only been another 10 minutes or so.) I waited about a half, then went up to check on him and he was out. I was so proud of myself. It was really hard to do. Harder than I thought. I know all of you moms that have done this 3 or 4 times before must be thinking, why it took me so long to figure this out.

Thanks
for
the
advice!!

3 comments:

NOBODY said...

I'm SO PROUD OF YOU!

I didn't realize you thought it would be easy. Did I not tell you I layed in the other room and cried the whole time Bo cried it out? They are sooooooooooo pathetic to look at and listen to, but it's so good for them to learn to soothe themselves. You'll have to do it a few more times, and any time you lapse, girrrrrrrrrrl you'll pay for it. :) So be good. No matter how cute and convincing your sweet little boy with the pink pacifiers can be.

Good job, I really am glad you did it and it worked. Is the rest of the story that he didn't wake up screaming in the night? Please tell me it is.... :)

Cindy said...

Nobody-
He did wake up 2 more times that night. But I held my ground and did not give in. I knew it would be hard, but I did not realize it would be this hard.

Kim said...

Good job girl! Crying it out is the best method. Way to go!